Questions For Your Rabbi
• Are the clergy members familiar with my child, and how can they become more personally acquainted with him/her before the ceremony?
• Can we go over exactly what our child will be doing in the service?
• How can we choose a tutor, and how often will we meet with him?
• Are all bar mitzvah services the same, and what can we expect ours to be like?
• What does the family need to do in the upcoming months?
• What reading materials would you recommend for becoming more familiar with the Torah?...besides the Torah.
• Can you explain the mitzvah project and the role that you will be playing?
• What are the synagogue’s rules and policy’s for bar mitzvah preparation?
• Can you recommend a family that has recently been through the process at this synagogue? Would they be willing to speak with us?
• How many aliyot and other honors are there in the service?
• May we choose special musical selections or readings?
• Are parents allowed or expected to make a speech during the service?
• Is there a dress code on the bimah or for guests in the sanctuary?
• Are there any guidelines that we should share with our guests?
• We will need to make a program for our guests. Do you have any samples from past bar mitzvahs that we can look at?
• How do we arrange for a photographer and videographer to capture the service for us?
• What’s included in our bar mitzvah fee? What is extra?