Bar Mitzvah Classical & Jazz Ensembles, Bar Mitzvah Cocktail Hour music
How will you entertain your adult bar mitzvah guests during the bar mitzvah cocktail hour? What kind of ambiance do you want to create? Whatever vision you have…soothing, swinging, sophisticated, or sweet, you should keep in mind that the cocktail hour might be the first time that some of your guests have seen each other in a while, so it’s a good idea to avoid high energy entertainment, because it can interfere with conversation.
A great choice for cocktail hour entertainment is a jazz or classical ensemble. The music is timeless, the volume is perfect, and the instruments are naturally beautiful.
A typical classical quartet consists of a cello, a viola, and two violins, but there are many combinations that work in this setting. Ask the leader about different instrumentation: flute, classical guitar, double bass, oboe, French horn, etc.
Most jazz trios consist of bass, piano, and saxophone, but you can add drums (have the drummer play with brushes to keep the volume down), a trumpet, vocals, or guitar.
Ask what the group’s repertoire specialty is, listen to a demo CD, and if you like the sound, go with it. Some of these groups play in restaurants and hotel lobbies, so it’s possible to see them live before booking the group for your child’s bar mitzvah.
TIP: Since you have the musicians for the cocktail hour, ask them to stay and play a dinner set. This will add a live element to your reception, especially if you hired a DJ to play the party’s dance music.
Good Questions to Ask Your Bar Mitzvah Musical Ensembles
• Can we listen to a demo of your group playing a bar mitzvah cocktail hour?
• How many years of experience to you have in playing bar mitzvahs and special events?
• What is the instrumentation of your Bar Mitzvah Band?
• Can you give us a complete price list will all of your bar mitzvah entertainment options?
• May we speak to one of your recent Bar Mitzvah clients?
• How many hours will you play, and how do you charge?
• Can we see a song list?
• Can we see your ensemble play live before we book you for our bar mitzvah?
• What will you wear? Tuxes? Suits? Black dresses?
• Is transportation included in your price?
• Do you have liability insurance?
• What is your payment/cancellation policy, and do you accept credit cards?